Step 6: Home Moving Tips
The day has arrived. And there will be as much excitement as there will be sore backs, but you can take the pain out of moving day by planning ahead. Here are some tips for a smooth move:
- Make a moving checklist that details a plan for things that need to be done weeks before you move all the way up to moving day itself.
- Plan for packing by clearly labeling boxes with the rooms they are to go to. You might even want to provide a small floorplan for the movers so they know exactly where to take them.
- Make sure you get competitive quotes from reliable moving companies. Or, to save money, find out how much it would cost to hire a moving van yourself (and bribe your friends to help you).
- If you own your current home, cancel your cable and utilities and make sure to have the gas, electricity, cable and phone hooked up at your new home.
- Inform your key contacts – work, Canada Post, doctors, friends, pharmacy, etc… of your change of address.
- On moving day, plan an easy meal like picking up some take-out. Moving is stressful enough without having to cook.
Congratulations. You’re all moved in. Welcome home!
Real Estate Websites by Web4Realty